S.C. Samuel Kou
Professor of Biostatistics: Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health
Stochastic inference in single molecule biophysics, chemistry and biology
Bayesian inference of stochastic models
Nonparametric methods, model selection and empirical Bayes
Monte Carlo methods
Economic and financial modeling
- Ph.D. in Statistics, Stanford University, June 2001.
- M.S. in Statistics, Stanford University, March 2000.
- B. S. in Computational Mathematics, Peking University, July 1997.
- July 2008 -- now, Professor of Statistics, Harvard University
- July 2005 -- June 2008, John L. Loeb Associate Professor of the Natural Sciences, Harvard University
- July 2001 -- June 2005, Assistant Professor of Statistics, Harvard University
- September 1997 -- June 2001, Teaching Assistant and Instructor, Department of Statistics, Stanford University
- Xianchao Xie, Samuel Kou and Lawrence D. Brown (2012). SURE estimates for a heteroscedastic hierarchical model. J. Amer. Statist. Assoc., 107, 1465-1479.
- Samuel Kou, Benjamin Olding, Martin Lysy and Jun Liu (2012). A multiresolution method for parameter estimation of diffusion processes. J. Amer. Statist. Assoc., 107, 1558-1574.
- Samuel Kou and Peter McCullagh (2009). Approximating the α-permanent. Biometrika, 96, 635-644. Supplementary material: matrices used in the paper.
- Samuel Kou (2008). Stochastic networks in nanoscale biophysics: modeling enzymatic reaction of a single protein. J. Amer. Statist. Assoc., 103, 961-975.
- Samuel Kou (2008). Stochastic modeling in nanoscale biophysics: subdiffusion within proteins. Ann. Appl. Statist., 2, 501-535.
- Samuel Kou, Qing Zhou and Wing Wong (2006). Equi-energy sampler with applications in statistical inference and statistical mechanics (with discussion). Ann. Statist., 34, 1581-1652.
- Samuel Kou, Sunney Xie and Jun Liu (2005). Bayesian analysis of single-molecule experimental data (with discussion). J. Roy. Statist. Soc., C, 54, 469-506.
- Samuel Kou, Binny Cherayil, Wei Min, Brian English and Sunney Xie (2005). Single-molecule Michaelis-Menten equations . Journal of Physical Chemistry, B, 109, 19068-19081.
- Samuel Kou (2004). From finite sample to asymptotics: a geometric bridge for selection criteria in spline regression. Ann. Statist., 32, 2444-2468.
- Samuel Kou and Sunney Xie (2004). Generalized Langevin equation with fractional Gaussian noise: subdiffusion within a single protein molecule. Physical Review Letters, 93, 180603(1)-180603(4).
- Samuel Kou and Steve Kou (2003). Modeling growth stocks via birth-death processes. Advances in Applied Probability, 35, 641-664.
- Samuel Kou and Bradley Efron (2002). Smoothers and the Cp, GML and EE criteria: a geometric approach. J. Amer. Statist. Assoc., 97, 766-782.